Friday, April 22, 2016

Clockwork Dragon

Pictured below is a faux book which started its life as a box of candy.  I used a Steampunk digital stamp named "Clockwork Dragon" drawn by Rick St. Dennis MFA.  The image was colored with Copic markers and then fussy cut with scissors and a craft knife.  

The pages of the book were made from aluminum tape which was scored with a metal brush several times to give the look of pages.  Washes of DecoArt Media fluid acrylics in Carbon Black and Quinacridone Gold were applied to the metal pages for an aged appearance.  The "pages" were sealed with DecoArt Media Soft-Touch Varnish.

  The facing of the book is embossed metal which was attached to the candy box with DecoArt liquid glass.  The metal was then covered with DecoArt Media Antiquing cream in Carbon Black and when dry, the excess cream was wiped away with a slightly damp cloth to give an aged look.  After the aged metal facing of the book was dry, DecoArt Media Soft-Touch Varnish was used to seal the antiquing cream.  Tim Holtz cogs were embossed with a Darice embossing folder (Steampunk Gears) and a border was created.  DecoArt Americana Premium Matte Acrylics in Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber and True Ochre were used to paint the border of cogs.  When dry, DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Silver Spark, Gold Rush and Copper Kettle were applied with my fingers and later were buffed with a soft cloth to increase the metallic sheen.  The gear and cog border, as well as the Clockwork Dragon, were applied to the faux book using pop dots.

Click image to enlarge:


Thanks for Looking!
~ Lady Brayton ~

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Dare to Create - A Skinzapfel Challenge

From Andy Skinner and Tracy Weinzapfel:
WE DARE YOU TO CREATE!
Tracy Weinzapfel and I are at it again! But this time we are daring YOU to create.
In honour of our Dare to Create experiments we want to see how you can incorporate BOTH our styles into your own piece(s). Gather up your DecoArt supplies, get making, and let us know how you turned your piece into a Skinzapfel masterpiece!
Here is how to enter:
This challenge is exclusive to this group and to Tracy’s Mixed Media Monday’s group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mmmtwstudios/
Create your piece using any DecoArt products and upload to the We Dare You to Create Photo Album.
http://bit.ly/1WChvlM

My first Skinzapfel piece will be placed in Andy's category as it is a bit grungier than my second piece.  Click on images to enlarge.



The Andy Skinner portions of my first piece pictured above are the aged and crackled cogs, the overall grunginess, the crackled background as well as the use of Andy's "Industrial" stamp set. The Tracy portion includes the blue tones as well as the hearts.


DecoArt Products used:
  • Media Gesso in black and white
  • Media Misters in Primary Yellow, Red, Orange and Primary Magenta
  • Media Shimmer Mister in Yellow
  • Weathered Wood
  • Paintable Texture Crackle
  • Americana Stencil Brush Set
  • Media Crackle Paint
  • Americana Stencil "Gears & Cogs" 
  • White Tinting Base
  • Media Fluid Acrylics in Carbon Black, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Teal Hue, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Quinacridone gold, Cadmium Red Hue, Pyrrole Red, Dioxazine Purple, Dark Grey Value 3, and Quinacridone Red.
  • Metallic Lustres in Copper Kettle, Gold Rush, Iced Espresso, Black Shimmer and Champagne Ice.
  • Media Ultra-Matte Varnish 
  • Brush and Stencil Cleaner

Other Products used:
  • Drywall Tape
  • Paint Brushes
  • Andy Skinner "Industrial" Stamp set
  • StazOn ink in Jet Black
  • Canvas Board

My second piece will go into Tracy's category as it is a bit more whimsical.


I've used techniques from Andy's Book of Ruination workshop on the background and I used techniques from his Rock this Book workshop on the altered frame. To add a Tracy touch...I HAD to add flowers.  I made plaster Roses from a silicone mold I have as well as leaves to go with the flowers.  The roses were painted with Multi-Surface Satin paints and the leaves were painted with Media fluid acrylics.  The flower parts were sealed and Crackle glaze was applied.  When dry, Antiquing Cream in Carbon black was applied, allowed to dry, excess wiped away, and the pieces were sealed again.  I made a flower pot with cardboard and various colours of Media Misters.  The paper was a scrap piece used to sop up any splatters or puddles.  I glued and stapled the paper to the cardboard.  My faux flower pot was adhered to the background with a hot glue gun.  Next I coiled some copper wire around a paint brush to use as stems.  The bottom of the wire was glued into the flower pot with the glue gun and the tips of the stems were glued under the roses with the hot glue.  The leaves were applied randomly with the hot glue gun as well.  For the final touch, I coiled more wire around a paint brush and poked it through a hole in a baby Alligator's foot and hung it like a charm from the flower pot. 
Poor gator :( 


DecoArt Products used:
  • Media Modeling Paste in White
  • Media Misters in Primary Yellow, Red, Orange and Primary Magenta
  • Media Shimmer Mister in Yellow
  • Americana Premium Multi-Surface Satin in Red Barn and Dark Scarlet
  • Traditions Artist Acrylics in Titanium White, Carbon Black, Prussian Blue Hue, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, and Quinacridone Gold
  • Media Fluid Acrylics in Yellow Green Light, Blue Green Light, and Viridian Green Hue
  • Media Ultra-Matte Varnish
  • Media Soft-Touch Varnish
  • Media Crackle Glaze
  • Antiquing Cream in Carbon Black
  • Brush and Stencil Cleaner

Other Products used:
  • StazOn ink in Jet Black
  • Andy Skinner's "Industrial" Stamp set
  • Copper Wire
  • Needle nose pliers and wire cutter
  • Alligator's Foot
  • Cardboard
  • Canvas Board (mine was 8" 10")
  • Frame to alter (mine was 8" 10")
  • Hydrocal Plaster
  • Baroque Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold by Wilton
  • Stapler and Staples
  • Glue and Hot Glue Gun
  • Paint Brushes and Palette Knives


Cheers!
~Lady B~